The content in this blog is based on my experiences and the guidance I have received from my Care Team determined by my individual and evolving needs. Before beginning, trying, or experimenting with anything mentioned in this blog, you
MUST CONSULT A PHYSICIAN!!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Set Free from Sunburn (for today at least)

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am constantly muttering about the difficulties of finding the right sunscreen for the summer months. Not only does the medication for my condition make me sensitive to sun, but I start sweating like nobody's business as soon as I step foot in the brutal rays of the sun.


This summer I am trying something new. Banana Boat Clear Ultramist UVB SPF 30 Continuous Spray Sunscreen.  I found mine at Walmart, but I think you can get it anywhere.  Some people mock and aggravate me about the price I pay for good sunscreen, but the way I see it - it is definitely worth the price.  Some say that we shouldn't use are-sol spray sunscreens, but I am cautious about not breathing it in and its the only way I can make sure that I get every inch of my (exposed) body.  After doing some research and talking to my physician, I am learning that if you have the UVA and UVB protections you don't have to splurge as much on a higher SPF.  This is really the first summer that I have used a lower SPF so I was curious about how it would work out.


Luckily, I had a plan!  I went into the events of the holiday making sure that I could keep an eye on the clock. While it may sound a bit dull, I reapplied the sunscreen every 90 minutes.  Yes, I climbed out of the pool and dried off every 90 minutes, spraying myself with the sunscreen and massaging some onto my face.  The coolest part was that my 5yr old niece climbed out of the pool with me - and I went ahead and slathered her up too.  It's never too early to teach sun protection and skin care!


Well guess who DIDN'T burn!!  That's right, ME!!!  In the pool for hours during the hottest part of the day and while I did get a little bit of color - no lobster-red burns for me this year!   




Happy Independence Day!


For more FAQ about sunscreen, check out the American Melanoma Foundation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...